This tutorial is about the How to Add any User to a Group on Linux. We will try our best so that you understand this guide. I hope you like this blog How to Add any User to a Group on Linux. If your answer is yes then please do share after reading this.
Table of contents
Check How to Add any User to a Group on Linux
Linux is an open source operating system (OS). An operating system is the software that directly manages a system’s hardware and resources, such as the CPU, memory, and storage. The operating system sits between the applications and the hardware, making the connections between all of your software and the physical resources that do the work.
Linux groups are the community of users who have the right to manage and organize user and file permissions on a Linux system. The main reason for creating a group is to define the set of permissions, such as read and write permissions, or allow group shares. Linux allows us to add users to a specific user group. A user account can be added to multiple groups.
For example, users with sudo privileges can access sudo commands to gain the proper privilege. Also, we can set file permissions and other rights for a group. Adding a user to a group is a simple process. All we have to do is run the appropriate command. In this article we will show how to add a user to a linux group.
How to add any user to a group in Linux
- The usermod command adds a user to a Linux group. The -a -G flags must be used to add an existing user account to a group. The usermod command syntax is: usermod -a -G groupname username.
- sudo usermod -a -G group_to_add username
- Let’s analyze this syntax:
- The -a flag tells usermod to add a user to a group.
- The -G flag specifies the name of the secondary group to which you want to add the user.
- If you want to change a user’s primary group, you can use the -g flag instead. You must use the sudo command to use usermod:
- This is because usermod requires sudo privileges. This makes sense because usermod directly modifies user accounts on a Linux system.
Final words: How to Add any User to a Group on Linux
I hope you understand this article How to Add any User to a Group on Linux, if your answer is no then you can ask anything via contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes then please share this article with your family and friends.