A responsible profession that helps others with a view to protecting their interests and potential data will always be appreciated. Such a profession is ethical hacking, which aims to help others use certain hacking methods with good intent.
Today, it is highly required to protect the valuable data stored within electronic devices like computers, mobiles, tabs, etc. In this regard, ethical hacking can be a powerful weapon against hackers or cyber attackers.
Building a career in ethical hacking: What should you know?
An ethical hacker is a person who is legitimately involved in protecting the crucial information of users on computer systems.
Here, the professional uses certain hacking techniques and tools to identify the root cause of the issue. To become a Certified Ethical Hacker, one needs to earn some key skills that help him to enter into a profession.
The person strengthens the system and network security by applying different techniques within hacking to locate and fix the vulnerabilities. This practice eliminates the system’s weaknesses and makes it much stronger.
There is no specific defined way to become an ethical hacker. Companies generally search for this professional based on their requirements and the skills needed. But the basic requirement is that having a degree in Computer Science, IT, Mathematics, etc. can help to start a career in ethical hacking.
Skills required for ethical hacking
Apart from the basic education like graduation, there are some other qualities that an ethical hacking professional is expected. These are strong problem-solving skills, the ability to work under pressure, a learning attitude, basic technical and programming skills like Java, C++, HTML, Python, etc.
- Soft communication skills with innovative thinking can be an added advantage for a Certified Ethical Hacker
- He should be good at programming and operating skills, like Windows, Linux, iOS, etc. Understanding coding languages, commands, etc. helps in identifying system issues and coding errors.
- An Ethical Hacker should be strong in networking and cybersecurity areas, which are considered the most critical skills. Knowledge of firewalls, penetration testing, cryptography, networks like VPN, etc. will help to tackle different security threats.
Cyber attacks are quite common today and there could be more in the coming days. So, knowledge of certain security techniques and tools can help to prosper in the ethical hacking field. They need to test the networks and systems at regular intervals to identify the potential threats and fix them.
To get all these skills and knowledge at a time, one should opt for training programs CEH, CISCO, CCNA, Certified Security Engineer, Penetration Testing Engineer, etc. Jetking institute also offers such courses and training to individuals and working professionals to upgrade their skills in Ethical hacking, Cybersecurity, etc.
What skills does an individual need to pursue a career in cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity is a profession that needs great attention towards the upcoming threats on the internet and other malicious sources.
To become a certified Cybersecurity expert, an individual needs to acquire certain skills that include:
1. System Administration
2. Networking skills, knowledge of routers, firewalls, etc.
3. Knowledge of different Operating Systems, like Windows, Linus, Unix, Mac OS, etc.
4. Skills like penetration testing, security research, malware research, analysis, etc.
6. Knowledge of cloud security, information security, security audit, and other regulations are laid there.
7. He should possess good problem-solving skills along with good communication and presentation.
8. Also, knowledge of hacking tools and techniques will be an added advantage.
These are the majorly required skills to become a Certified Cybersecurity expert. Having graduation in Computer Science and mathematics will be more helpful to learn the above skills easily.
What is the starting salary of an individual who has just started a career in Cybersecurity?
A rewarding career is always based on the payscale offered to an individual getting into a profession. Today, only the scale of pay decides how much potential a professional has. A certified Cybersecurity professional also earns good pay, but it depends upon multiple factors like organization, place of work, designation, skills, and experience.
Every young individual who is entering the Cybersecurity world would have many expectations from this profession. Especially about the payout they will get in return.
According to the latest survey by the PayScale website, it is observed that the starting annual average salary of Cybersecurity analysts ranges from Rs. 2.8 lakhs.
It will range up to Rs 12 lakhs depending upon the experience of the candidate. The average annual salary of a Cybersecurity professional ranges up to Rs 5 lakhs per annum.
Authored by Harsh Bharwani, CEO and Managing Director of Jetking Infotrain.
Read: Want to learn Ethical hacking? Here’s how you can learn it