Roles and Responsibilities: Developing software solutions play a big role in every industry. Due to its extreme importance in system engineering, a new job aspect called Systems Software Engineer has emerged. Systems Software Engineering is an arm of systems engineering that addresses the real-world development of complex software-intensive systems and solves practical problems. They detect the issue and create a new system or improve the existing model to make it better and more efficient. Systems Software Engineers analyze, develop, design, maintain, and test a broad range of software based on specific user needs while putting into consideration the quality, time, and budget. Besides, they should also keep an eye on the installed systems and infrastructure.
Average Salary (per annum): US$97,615
- Ability to demonstrate superb technical competency, deliver mission-critical infrastructure, and ensure the highest availability, performance, and security.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related subject with extra knowledge in systems software engineering.
- Knowledge of evolving technologies, methodologies, and trends according to developments.
- Hands-on experience in designing and maintaining the intranet that connects various departments within an organization.
- Talent to leverage technical support and design the company’s computer security system.
- In-depth knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware, and software.
- Extraordinary communication skills are essential to understand a client’s needs and provide technical support to customers with a non-technical background.
Top 3 Online Courses:
Introduction to Systems Engineering at Coursera: Introduction to Systems Engineering takes students through the basics of systems engineering with a flexible approach. It provides a holistic, solid foundation for the successful development of complicated systems. By leveraging step-by-step guidance on the life cycle, from design to development, production, and management, students will learn how the different components of a system are interrelated.
Communication Systems Engineering at MIT Open Courseware: MIT Open Courseware offers a disruptive system engineering course that will cover the fundamentals of digital communications and networking. Students will learn the basics of information theory, sampling and quantification, coding, modulation, signal detection, and system performance in the presence of noise.
Space Systems Engineering at Texas Space Grant Consortium: The space website provides a Space Systems Engineer course that dissimilates curriculum materials to interested faculty. The materials were developed from NASA processes and piloted in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin. The materials include 27 lectures modules, accompanying assignments and exams, reference handbooks, videos, recommended reading, and numerous resources.
Top Institutes Offering the Program:
- Software Systems Engineering (SSE): University of Regina
- MSc (Software Systems Engineering): UCL, United Kingdom
- Master of Engineering in Systems Engineering: Stevens Institute of Technology, USA
Top Recruiters for This Job:
Qualcomm: Qualcomm is the world leader in 3G, 4G, and next-generation wireless technology innovations for more than 30 years. The company is now pioneering the way to 5G with a new era of intelligent products that are revolutionizing industries, including automotive, computing, and IoT. Qualcomm’s services help millions of devices connect like never before.
Lockheed Martin: Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that is engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services. The company aims to solve complex challenges, advance scientific discovery and deliver innovative solutions to help customers keep people safe.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise: Hewlett Packard Enterprise provides solutions that allow consumers to capture, analyze, and act upon data seamlessly. The company offers general-purpose servers for multi-workload computing and workload-optimized servers. Further, Hewlett Packard Enterprise invests in communications and media solutions including Hewlett Packard Labs and others.
Northrop Grumman: Northrop Grumman Corporation is a global security company that leverages systems, products, and solutions in aerospace, electronics, information systems, and technical services. It serves the government and customers worldwide. Northrop Grumman’s operating segments include Aeronautics Systems, Defense Systems, Mission Systems, and Space Systems.
Raytheon Technologies: Raytheon Technologies is a market leader in the aerospace and defense industry that provides advanced systems and services for commercial, military, and government customers worldwide. Formed in 2020 through the combination of Raytheon Company and the United Technologies Corporation, the company’s technologies are used in air travel, global defense, and space exploration.